Pakistan cricket team’s squad for ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 is full of talented players. You may be aware about the strong technical skills of the squad but here are some interesting facts about some of the players in the team:
Mohammad Babar Azam
Babar Azam is one of the most talented batsman of current era and definitely a star in Pakistan’s World Cup squad. He is the holder of multiple records in international cricket. Below are some interesting facts about Babar:
- His three cousins have represented Pakistan in international cricket namely the brothers Kamran Akmal, Adnan Akmal and Umar Akmal.
- He is the fastest bastman in the world to score 7 centuries in ODI.
- He is the only batsman in ODI history to score five consecutive centuries in a country.
- Holds the world record for most runs in first 25 ODI innings of the career where he scored 1306 runs.
- Holds the record of world’s fastest batsman to reach 1000 runs in T20 Internationals.
- Holds record of scoring most runs in a three match ODI series where he scored 360 runs.
- He is one of the 5 players named by ICC in the debutant watch list for World Cup 2019.
Fakhar Zaman came to the spotlight in international cricket due to his performances in the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 held in England. Here are some interesting facts about Fakhar:
- He is a former Pakistan Navy sailor, hence nicknamed “Fauji” (solider) by the teammates. He served in Pakistan Navy for 7 years.
- Represented Pakistan Armed Forces cricket team known as Pakistan Joint Services in International Defence Cricket Challenge in 2012 and helped the team win the tournament. This was the first time Pakistan Joint Services participated in the tournament.
- Holds the world record for fastest 1000 runs in ODI. He completed the milestone in 18 innings.
- He is the only Pakistani batsman to score double-century in ODI.
- Held the record of highest 1st wicket partnership along with fellow opener Imam-ul-Haq in ODI where the duo put up joint score of 304 runs. The record was recently broken by West Indies openers John Campbell and Shai Hope on May 5, 2019 during Tri-Nation Series where they scored combined 365 runs against Ireland.
Imam’s selection in national team initially was criticized by a segment as his uncle was chief selector of the national side. However, he shut the mouth of critics by scoring century on his debut and has continued a good form from there on. Here are some interesting facts about Imam:
- Imam has the highest ODI average in current Pakistan cricket team squad for World Cup. He maintains an average of 60.30 in 28 matches.
- He is the second fastest player to reach 1000 runs in ODIs, just after Fakhar Zaman. It took him 19 innings to cross 1000 runs.
- He is the second Pakistani batsman to score century on debut.
- He is nephew of Pakistan legend Inzimam-ul-Haq.
- He held the joint record of highest 1st wicket partnership of 304 runs with Fakhar Zaman until it was recently broken by West Indian openers John Campbell and Shai Hope during Tri-Nation Series.
Shaheen Shah Afridi
The 6-foot 6 inch tall Pakistani fast bowler came into limelight during the PSL 2018 after which he was selected for national team for all three formats of the game.
- An interesting fact about Shaheen Shah Afridi is that he is not the first among his siblings to represent Pakistan in international cricket. His brother Riaz Afridi has also played for Pakistan in sole test match against Sri Lanka in 2004.
- Shaheen was named ‘Rising Star‘ by ICC for his brilliant performance during the Under-19 Cricket World Cup in 2018.
Syed Imad Wasim
Imad Wasim is the only foreign born player in the squad to represent Pakistan in the upcoming Cricket World Cup 2019. Imad was born in Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom. His family moved back to Pakistan during his early years and has stayed there since then. The all-rounder is the first Welsh born player to play for Pakistan.
Pakistan cricket team is about to start their World Cup campaign in less than a week.